Sunday, March 29, 2009

Where would we be without a birth mom?

I was just reading a friend's blog entry that dealt with one of her favorite adoption conversations. That conversation topic is that of the birth mother. I can't say that talking about our daughter's birth mother is easy, because it's not. Most people have little understanding about our relationship with our daughter's biological mother. That being said, we do not judge the actions of our daughter's birth mother. Her life is her business. Of course, no one else should judge her either but as you and I know, it happens all of the time.

I truly believe that many people believe that if a woman decides not to parent her child it means that she doesn't love that child. I can attest that this is far from the truth. The truth is that our daughter's birth mother cared so much about her baby that she wanted her to have the best life possible and because she was not ready (emotionally or financially), she made an adoption plan. She did not "give the baby away" ( I hate when people say that...our baby is not a puppy that someone didn't want to clean up after). She made an informed, selfless, mature decision to let us parent a child that we would not have otherwise. This is the hardest action to explain to anyone who hasn't been there. She has made a sacrifice that I'm not sure I could have made if I was in her position.

I often think about where we would be without our daughter's birth mom. I'm guessing it wouldn't have been quite the same to not be parenting at this point or parenting a completely different child. If anything, birth mothers should be celebrated not criticized. Here's to our daughter's birth mom. She is the bravest person that I have ever known. Thanks for the beautiful gift that you have given us!

No comments: